On 2nd May Louis met the representatives of the Third Estate. Louis had to call a meeting of the Estates general to get an agreement on the new taxes. The King was very short of money. or disagree with new laws. They went to a nearby tennis court and swore an oath to keep meting until the King agreed to their demands.
More Tennis Court Oath Ks3 images
The Tennis Court Oath(serment du jeu de paume) was a pledge signed by 577 members of France's Third Estateon June 20, 1789. It was an early beginning in starting the French Revolution. King Louis XVIhad locked the deputies of the Third Estate of the Estates-Generalout of their meeting hall, Menus Plaisirs; they met instead in a nearby indoor real tenniscourt, because it had started raining, where they adopted a pledge to continue to meet until a constitution had been written.
On 20 June 1789, the members of the French Third Estate took the Tennis Court Oath. “Not to separate, and to reassemble wherever circumstances require, until the constitution of the kingdom is established”. It was a pivotal event in the French Revolution.
Tennis Court Oath, French Serment du Jeu de Paume, (June 20, 1789), dramatic act of defiance by representatives of the nonprivileged classes of the French nation (the Third Estate) during the meeting of the Estates-General (traditional assembly) at the beginning of the French Revolution. The deputies of the Third Estate, realizing that in any attempt at reform they would be outvoted by the two privileged orders, the clergy and the nobility, had formed, on June 17, a National Assembly.
The French Revolution: The Estate system/Tennis Court Oath. History teacher specialising in high quality lesson resources and revision materials. KS3, AQA GCSE, iGCSE, and Edexcel and AQA A level. 2nd lesson in the French Revolution scheme of work. This lesson introduces details about the Estate System, the long, short and trigger causes of ...
Tennis Court Oath King Louis XVI did not condone the formation or the actions of the National Assembly. He ordered the building where the National Assembly was meeting (the Salle des Etats) closed. The National Assembly was not to be denied, however. They met on a local tennis court (called the Jeu de Paume).
The biggest issue for them was that they represented 95% of the population but could be out-voted by the other two Estates, which represented only 5% of the population. Three days later, they found themselves locked out of the Estates General. They went to a nearby indoor tennis court and took the Tennis Court Oath. This was an agreement that ...
June 20 - Members of the Third Estate take the Tennis Court Oath demanding certain rights from the king. July 14 - The French Revolution begins with the Storming of the Bastille. August 26 - The National Assembly adopts the Declaration of the Rights of man and of the Citizen .
Lesson 2 - Estate system/Tennis court oath. Lesson 3 - What did the Revolutionaries want? ... KS3, AQA GCSE, iGCSE, and Edexcel and AQA A level. Share this.